SENIOR USER EXPERIENCE DESIGNER - CONTRACT
UC Berkeley, Berkeley, California
February 2019 - July 2019
- Lead for the Arts Passport v2 project, a progressive web app for mobile and tablets, including a web desktop admin.
- Implemented a UX process to deliver a v2 roadmap by providing user stories, feature planning, heuristic evaluations, wireframes, and InVision prototypes via partner collaboration.
- Identified and solved implementation issues for AWS, SQL, Django, and Bootstrap to deliver a production environment for v2.
- For a case study, view my PDF portfolio at brian.design/PDF
PRODUCT DESIGNER / DESIGNER II
Microsoft, Mountain View, California
October 2013 - November 2018 (5 years)
- Product Designer for several versions of Shifts for Microsoft Teams. Includes iOS, Material Design, and web desktop admin.
- Designed multiple features, such as how to import, export, copy and paste, assign predefined shifts, and print to one page.
- Unblocked large organizations by collaborating with users to design solutions for existing processes and 3rd party systems.
- Owned the user story for how to schedule and assign activities ( breaks, lunch, and workstations ) across all devices.
- Part of a multidisciplinary team including Design, PM, Engineering, and Research. View at brian.design/teams
USER EXPERIENCE DESIGNER
Microsoft, Mountain View, California
Nov 2008 - October 2013 (5 years)
- UX designer for Hotmail, Outlook.com, and Office 365. Designed features, Fabric components, page patterns, and built vision decks for web desktop.
- Collaborated with Research to co-write user study scripts for international user studies, eye tracking, usability, and longitudinal studies & tests. Qualitative and quantitative.
- Designed new features for Outlook.com including email conversation threading and automatic categorization along with other product features and layouts. Also owned the online People experience.
- Ensured team-wide pixel-perfect baselines and grid for Outlook.com, by collaborating across feature teams and disciplines.
- Part of a multidisciplinary team including Design, PM, Engineering, and Research. View at brian.design/outlook
Center for Research on Learning, University of Kansas
Aug 2006 - Jul 2008
- Lead UX, UI, and frontend for a large-scale online assessment system.
- Designed and developed assessments, tutorials, and teacher admin area.
- In 2006, delivered 2.7 million statewide NCLB online assessments.
- Presented concepts using scenarios, storyboards, wireframes, flowcharts, and working prototypes.
- Worked within a multidisciplinary and multicultural team. View at brian.design/ku
WEB ENGINEER - CONTRACT
Glam Media, Inc. San Francisco, California
Feb 2006 - Jul 2006
Implemented and customized Drupal, an open source content management system. Worked within a multidisciplinary and multicultural team both remotely and on-site. Extensive use of web and server technologies while building the Glam Network, a new online network of blogs; GlamSpace, a new community similar to MySpace.
INTERFACE DESIGN AND ENGINEER
Allen Press, Inc. Lawrence, Kansas
Jul 2004 - Jan 2006
Constructed rapid prototypes, task analyses, use cases, interaction models, screenshots, and utilized information architecture techniques for online journal sites and web-based internal/external content management systems built with Perl.
ASSISTIVE TECHNOLOGY STAFF
Eugene Research Institute. Eugene, Oregon
2002, 2001 summer
Projects involved user feedback, task analysis studies, flowchart creation, storyboards, and software use-model development using Flash. Assistive technology presenter: 16th Annual Oregon Inservice on Developmental Disabilities (Corvallis).
True Value Hardware and Just Ask Rental
1993 - 1996
Assistant Store Manager and Rental Manager (1000 items). Trained employees. Tracked and ordered store inventory. Attended seminars in: Chicago, Atlanta, and Las Vegas. Enacted Rental Procedures. Directly communicated with vendors. Solved customer and contractor problems.
IDEA2003 Gold Award presented by the Industrial Designers Society of America and sponsored by BusinessWeek. Project: Sustainable Design. One award worldwide per year per category.
Carter, B. (January 2008). Universal Design Considerations for the Kansas Computerized Assessments Online Teacher Instructions. Hawaii International Conference on Education, 5 January 2008. Honolulu, HI. (Session Leader, Educational Technology Panel)
Carter, B. (August 2007). New Developments in 3D. University of Kansas Center for Research on Learning. Lawrence, KS. Topics included Pavervision3D, Flash CS3, Collada, Blender, and Photoshop CS3 + Collada techniques. (Invited presentation)
Carter, B. (July 2002). Basic Concepts of Web Usability. Early Intervention Program, University of Oregon. Eugene, OR. (Invited presentation)
BFA, INDD - Industrial Design at University of Kansas
Fall 2003, 5 year program, Master's equivalent
Human-Computer Interaction and Design Methods
Minor in Anthropology
User Experience (UX), Project Management, Feature Planning, User Stories, Sketch App, Interaction Design, User-centered Design, Experience Design, Rapid Prototyping, Product Design, User Interface Design, InVision, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, After Effects, Design Thinking, jQuery, HTML5, XSLT, Origami Studio, CSS Animations, Android Studio, Usability, Accessibility, Design Sprints, Information Design, Information Architecture
San Francisco, CA
hello (at) brian.design