Senior UX Designer • Private Brands
January 2021 - April 2023
- Responsible for areas of Amazon's product lifecycle management tool for private brands, an internal web application.
- Shipped end-to-end journeys, provided UX, UI, patterns, usability evaluations, audits, and human-centered guidance.
- Designed experiences including workflow tasks and subtasks, product attributes, bill of materials, and external vendor access.
- Multidisciplinary team across continents and time zones.
Senior User Experience Designer • Contract
UC Berkeley, Berkeley, California
February 2019 - July 2019
- Lead for the Arts Passport project, a progressive web app for mobile and tablets, including a web desktop admin.
- Implemented a UX process to deliver a roadmap by providing user stories, feature planning, heuristic evaluations, wireframes, and InVision prototypes via partner collaboration.
- Identified and solved implementation issues for AWS, SQL, Django, and Bootstrap to deliver a production environment for v2.
- For a case study, view my PDF portfolio at brian.design/PDF
Product Designer • Designer II
Microsoft, Mountain View, California
October 2013 - November 2018 (5 years)
- Product Designer for several versions of Shifts for Microsoft Teams. Includes iOS, Material Design, and web desktop admin.
- Designed multiple experiences, such as how to import, export, copy and paste, assign predefined shifts, and print to one page.
- Unblocked organizations by collaborating with users to design solutions for existing processes and 3rd party systems.
- Owned the story for how to schedule and assign activities ( breaks, lunch, and workstations ) across all devices.
- Part of a multidisciplinary team including Design, PM, Engineering, and Research. View at brian.design/teams
User Experience Designer
Microsoft, Mountain View, California
Nov 2008 - October 2013 (5 years)
- UX designer for Hotmail, Outlook.com, and Office 365. Designed features, Fabric components, page patterns, and built vision decks for web desktop.
- Collaborated with Research to co-write scripts for usability, eye tracking, longitudinal, qualitative, and quantitative user studies.
- Designed new features for Outlook.com including conversation threading and email categorization along with other product features and layouts. Also owned the online People experience.
- Ensured team-wide pixel-perfect baselines and grid for Outlook.com, by collaborating across feature teams and disciplines.
- Part of a multidisciplinary team including Design, PM, Engineering, and Research. View at brian.design/outlook
Center for Research on Learning, University of Kansas
Aug 2006 - Jul 2008
Lead UX, UI, and HTML. Built an end-to-end online assessment experience for students and teachers, including tutorials. Delivered 2.7 million online assessments statewide in 2006. Collaborated within a multidisciplinary team via task analysis, wireframes, and HTML JS prototypes.
Web Engineer • Contract
Glam Media, Inc. San Francisco, California
Feb 2006 - Jul 2006
Implemented and customized an open source content management system to build an online network for fashion blogs and followers. Collaborated with designers and developers both remotely and on site.
Interface Design and Engineer
Allen Press, Inc. Lawrence, Kansas
Jul 2004 - Jan 2006
Designed and built a worldwide online journal system and payment API. Collaborated with other developers via prototypes, task analysis, use cases, mockups, and template systems.
Assistive Technology Staff
Eugene Research Institute. Eugene, Oregon
2002, 2001 summer
Explored user needs via contextual inquiry, task analysis, journey maps, storyboards, and prototypes. Assistive technology presenter: 16th Annual Oregon Inservice on Developmental Disabilities (Corvallis).
True Value Hardware and Just Ask Rental
1993 - 1996
Assistant Store Manager and Rental Manager (1000 items). Trained employees. Tracked and ordered store inventory. Attended seminars in: Chicago, Atlanta, and Las Vegas. Enacted Rental Procedures. Directly communicated with vendors. Solved customer and contractor problems.
IDEA2003 Gold Award presented by the Industrial Designers Society of America and sponsored by BusinessWeek. Project: Sustainable Design. One award worldwide per year per category.
BFA, INDD - Industrial Design at University of Kansas. 5 year program, Master's equivalent. Human-Computer Interaction and Design Methods. Minor in Anthropology.
User Experience, Feature Planning, User Stories, Prototyping, Product Design, User Centered Design, Interaction Design, Interface Design, Sketch App, InVision, Adobe Photoshop, Design Thinking, jQuery, HTML5, Next.js, Document Object Model, Static Site Generation, Bootstrap, Sass, CSS3, XML, XSLT, Usability, Accessibility, Design Sprints.
San Francisco, CA
hello (at) brian.design